Best Belt Sander Reviews 2019
Last Updated on
Any person who works with wood on a daily basis would want to have some power tool to help him. If not to cut through different hardwood but to saw and sand through them with ease.
We here have taken it upon us to review the top ten best belt sander without any bias and bring our findings to you.
What Is A Belt Sander?
A belt sander is a machine that uses an abrasive belt in motion, to smoothen rough surfaces. A belt sander is a type of sander amongst the different type of sanders.
It is called a belt sander because it consists of an electrically powered motor which keeps a loop of sandpaper attached to drum like circles in motion, thereby sanding off rough surfaces and smoothening them.
Top-Rated Belt Sanders Comparison 2019
|Makita 9403 Belt Sander||11 AMP||15.87 lbs|
|WEN 6321 Corded Belt Sander||7-amp||6.2 lbs|
|Astro 3037 Air Belt Sander||-||2.2 lbs|
|BLACK+DECKER DS321 Belt Sander||7 amp||6.5 lbs|
|PORTER-CABLE 352VS Belt Sander||8 Amp||10.75 lbs|
|SKIL 7510-01 Belt Sander||6 amp||6.75 lbs|
|Makita 9903 8.8 Amp Belt Sander||8.8 AMP||9.5 lbs|
|Hitachi SB8V2 Belt Sander||9.0-Amp||9.5 lbs|
|TACKLIFE Belt Sander||5 Amp||7.7 lbs|
|PORTER-CABLE 362V Speed Belt||12 Amp||4.41 lbs|
What Are Belt Sanders Used For?
A belt sander is an amazing tool to have around the house or working place as the uses are almost endless. It can be used on wooden surfaces, on painted surfaces, and even metal surfaces. Here are some of the major uses of belt sanders.
For Finishing Metal or Wood Surfaces: Though the belt sander was made fundamentally to make the sanding of wooden large surfaces easier, it can be used to sand smaller surfaces with the same great results. A belt sander uses sandpaper attached to a belt and runs it aggressively over the gritty wooden or metal surface removing all dents and leaving it smooth and flawless. Sandpaper having different roughness otherwise known as grits. And by changing the grit of the sandpaper it can help you achieve levels of sanding giving you different results.
A belt sander can also be used for sanding metal surfaces, though it is mostly used for sanding off non-ferrous metals like aluminum it can also be used for other stronger metals.
For Re-Finishing Wooden Furniture and Removing Paint On Surfaces: If you happen to own any large wooden furniture that you feel is old and needs to be revamped, a belt sander can give you just that new look you are seeking for. The belt sander will do so by sanding off the old and worn out surface of the wooden furniture leaving behind a new layer of wood exposed. Apply a layer or two of lacquer over the wood and it looks and feels new again. A belt sander is also used for removing paint of different surface, sometimes even walls. So, if you want to do a new paint job in your home or office but cannot find a fast and effective way to remove the paint. Let the belt sander do it for you.
For Fixing Doors and Windows: The work of a belt sander is to take of excess wood and sometimes metals giving the item a desired finish. A belt sander can be used to fix doors in the sense that if you happen to have a door that screeches and makes noise because it was not measured well, you can use a belt sander to take off the excess wood, thereby returning the door or window to the appropriate size.
For Sanding Concrete: The uses of belt sanders are endless. And one of them is sanding concrete floors. So if your driveway is looking old cracked and bumpy, you can employ the use of a belt sander and give it a smooth and clean finish. However, it is advised that you get the help of a professional if you have not to use a belt sander before, as you can easily dent the surface you want to sand or even hurt yourself.
The above are only some of the uses of a belt sander as there are many more things you can use a belt sander for.
Before you decide of purchasing a new sander, and upgrade your woodworking tool kit, here are some knowledgeable tips you want to hold on to.
- Belt Size: Different type of belt sanders have various sizes of the belt. The belt sizes are determining factors of the woodwork the sander can handle at a single time. Belt sanders usually fall into three categories of sizes, and as previously mentioned they are clear indications of their sanding abilities. The sizes are 4.1 inch belt sander, 3.21 inch belt sander, or a 4.24 inch belt sander. So if your woodwork is small pick a smaller belt size and if it is big, pick a bigger belt size.
- Variable speed: When picking a belt sander, you will be faced with the option of a single speed belt sander or a variable speed belt sander. The different between the two is that for a single speed belt sander, it only has one-speed setting and can neither be increased nor decreased. But for the variable speed belt sander, it comes with several speed settings. And the speed you choose is entirely up to you. It is however advised that you purchase the variable speed belt sander as the option of being able to change the speed to suit your preference is a major game changer. This is so because the speed can range from a minimum of 400 to 1600 feet per minute.
- Features: There are several belt sanders and almost all of them offer unique features. Some are portable belt sanders, others are handheld belt sander, while others are stationary belt sanders. Now the features you want should suit the belt sander you are to purchase. So if you want mobility, then do not pick a stationary belt sander. And if you want a handheld, do not pick a large one. Keep in mind that the features affect the work you can do with the sanders, and also how you can do it.
- Dust Collection: An average belt sander produces a lot of dust when sanding with it. This is where the dust collection feature comes in handy. A belt sander with a quality dust collection system usually comes with a bag that collects the dust while you work, this is quite handy. But, not all belt sanders have this feature, and if the belt sander youget does not have a dust collection system, you will be left with a heap of dust every single time you use it, and that is no fun. However, do not just look for a sander with a collection system, look for one with a large enough bag so you do not have to empty it every other time.
- Prices: The price of a belt sander is a very important aspect to put into consideration when going out to purchase one because it can determine the features you get off it. And it also helps you stay on budget while making sure they do not rip you off your money. An average belt sander can cost anywhere between 30 dollars to 300 dollars. This depends on your location and whether you are shipping or buying it from a store directly. So with your price sorted out you are ready to go out and buy.
With the above buyer’s guide, we are sure you are more than equipped to order yourself a solid belt sander with no issue or hassle.
Top 10 Best Sanders Reviews
1. Makita 9403 Belt Sander with Cloth Dust Bag (Top Pick)
The Makita 9403 is woodworkers dream as it combines both speed and the power of force to give the most aesthetically pleasing finish to any woodwork. It is easy to use and features a noise absorbent material that makes working with this powerful tool less stressful and more environment and noise friendly.
It is ideal for all woodworkers, be it carpenters, floor makers, contractors, and people who build decks using wood. It comes with a variable speed belt, so you can either maintain the speed, reduce, or increase the speed. This is a big plus as it will increase the uses of a single belt sander.
The Makita, model 9403 features a noise control build only releasing 84Db of noise, making the Makita one of the quietest belt sanders in its ranger you can find. With a belt controlled by an 11AMP powered electric motor, your sanding work will be finished faster than ever before.
The Makita 9403 also features a well-sealed metal and plastic exteriors protecting its major functionaries like the bearings and motor from any exposure that could spoil it. And with a large dust bag that gather all the dust particles while you work, what else you need from a belt sander.
- The Makita weighs just 13.0lbs, so it is light making its usage convenient.
- It comes with a one-year warranty, so if it develops any fault within this time, you can either get it fixed or get a new one entirely.
- The front grip makes it very convenient to hold and work with.
- For a belt sander, it can be expensive.
- The user might have to empty the dust bad several time if you have a lot of wood to sand.
2. WEN 6321 Corded Belt Sander (Best Budget)
The WEN belt sander, WEN 6321 is one of the best budget belt sander you can find in the market at the moment. It falls in the size category of the 3.21 inch when categorizing belt sanders. And that is a good size. They equip it with a single abrasive belt that is made to give you the smoothest of finishes.
The user does not have to worry about their hands getting tired because the WEN is one of the best lightweight sanders out there. The front roller was specifically made to extend past the top edge of the housing, this was made so that the user of the belt dander can reach even the hardest to reach places, giving him the most even and pleasing results.
The WEN 6321, features a compact design that makes it suitable to be carried on limiting user fatigue. And, a locked design that protects all major functionaries, this makes it last longer than the opened design which can be dangerous and spoil easily.
The company also gives a two-year warranty to anybody that buys it new, this means it can be returned in the case of any flaws or malfunctions. The WEN 6321 also features a detachable dust-bag that traps your wood or metal dust when sanding so you can dispose of it later.
- It comes with extra sand papers so you will not have to replace or get new ones soon.
- It sand paper is easy to change due to the design of the belt sander.
- It is cost effective
- It features only one belt, so your work will take more time than of you were using a belt sander with more belt.
- The dust bag is small.
- Its sanding surface dimension is small because of its one belt.
3. Astro 3037 Air Belt Sander with Belts (Best For Auto Repair)
The Astro 3037 is as revolutionized as the name sounds. It is one of the first belt sanders that was specially constructed with an increased pulley space for the new and improved thicker belts. It comes with a protected lever and handles.
It also comes with a non-slip handle that increases the hold and grip of the user. A good and strong grip makes it easier for the user to maneuver it as he please giving him flawless results. It is also one of the lightest belt sanders you can find in the market. Weighing in at just 2lbs, this reduces user fatigue to the lowest.
The design of the ASTRO 3037 makes it most useful for removing spot weld from metal surfaces. It comes equipped with a variable speed pulley, giving the user control of the belt speed.
The pulley also comes ready to accommodate the newer and improved sanding paper. This is a feature most other belt sanders do not own. The universal pulley can accommodate all sizes and thickness of sanding papers.
- It is the newest, and revolutionized, a way of removing spot welding. This method is cheaper and also faster.
- It comes with an adjustable arm. So you no longer have to work with what you have, you can adjust the arms of the pulley to suit your current preference.
- It is cheap, compared to its counterparts who can do the same, this is plus the fact it comes with adjustable speed.
- It is tiny.
- It does not come with a warranty, so if you happen to spoil it when new, the company will not replace or fix it.
- It does not come with a dust bag so clean up when you are done.
4. BLACK+DECKER DS321 Sander with Clot (Best for Home Use)
The BLACK+DECKER has existed since 1910, and it has not done not deliver style wrapped in cutting-edge technology to give you the best possible results.
The BLACK+DECKER DS321 is the latest among all it the company’s model and it has not failed or fallen short of their standards. This belt sander is a powerhouse on its own and the features make it a force to reckon with.
Featuring a 7.0 AMP powerful motor, this high performance belt sander makes sanding a breeze. The BLACK+DECKER gives you the option to adjust the hand position in three different ways, this makes it possible for different people with different to find their comfort zone when using the machine to sand.
The design of the body makes it such that it is flexible and easy to get into curves and hard to reach places. The open top design also gives the user extended reach so that he can enjoy maximum functionality.
- It comes with its own dust bag, making it easy to collect the wood dust and dispose of it whenever the user is finished with it.
- The adjustable belt design it comes with makes it possible for the user to sand 3x closer to two adjoining surfaces, this is something only a few belt sanders can do.
- The design of the balck+decker has made it possible for the hood to be retracted, opening a new world of functions to the user.
- It can be heavy as it weighs almost 9pounds, this adds to the fatigue of the user easily.
- It does not come with any extra accessories, so if you want any replacements you will have to purchase that on your own.
5. PORTER-CABLE 352VS Belt Sander with Cloth Dust Bag (3×21 Belt Sander)
The PORTER-CABLE 352VS is a 3×21 inch belt sander equipped with variable speed and a spacious dusting bag. Since the first sander by this company, the quality and pricing have only gotten better.
The PORTER-CABLE comes equipped with so many features that every woodworker would want to have it in their workshop. This tool is so powerful that they reserve it for the heavy sanding removal and wood floors. If you are not yet convinced, then look at the features.
The PORTER-CABLE comes equipped with a quick release belt change lever, this feature makes belt changing easy, quick, and hitch free. This gives more time for the user to focus on doing actual work instead of unnecessary changing.
It features an all metal housing. This gives a solid covering off all the motors and engine, protecting it from dust and it lasts longer. The metal covering also helps to absorb and dispel heat from the sander, giving the user more time to work with it without having to switch it off so it cools down. The PORTER-CABLE also comes equipped with a very rigid belt that stays so even after several sanding and has variable speed giving the user more control over the depth the sander takes off the wood at a time.
- It transfers power from the motor to the belt using the belt-gear system. This makes sure that, the belt sands at the optimal speed.
- It has a swiveling dust bag, this means that the dust bag can be turned 360 degrees to any position that suits the sander.
- It also has an 8AMP motor, the power it owns for its size is insane. This being the reason it was reserved or heavy duty work.
- It comes with a 1 year warranty after a 30 day performance test.
- It is heavy, weighing in at almost 11 pounds.
- It is small, so even though built for heavy duty sanding, it will take the user some time to do so. This it because the surface area it covers at a time is not as wide.
- This dust bag is small and can get clogged up easily.
6. SKIL 7510-01 Sander with Pressure Control (Cheap Belt Sander)
The Skil 7510-01 is a force to reckon with as it sands almost many wood surfaces. It does this while transferring dust to a micro-filter canister otherwise known as dust bag it comes with.
With the Skil Sand cat, you do not have to stop and adjust the alignment of your belt because it will automatically do so keeping your belt aligned with little to no effort. It comes with several accessories and attachments, the features of this awe-inspiring machine will tell you more about it.
The SKIL Sandcat features a pressure detecting technology that will alert the user when excessive force is being applied, this will make sure that the sanded surface comes out even with little to no indentation.
The dust bag or rather a canister is clear with the Skil Sandcat, this means that the user can see whether it is filled and does not have to guess when to remove it. The Sandcat also features an auto belt track technology that checks to see if the belt is on track, this automatically re aligns it to the position when it is not on track. And it weighs just 7.35 pounds.
- It comes with a 6ft cord length, this gives the user enough space to work without the length of the cord hindering him.
- It is relatively lightweight at just 7.35 pounds compared to another belt sander that weighs 12 pounds on average. This reduces user fatigue.
- It also comes with a one-year warranty and spare parts when you purchase it new.
- It is efficient and reliable.
- The grip can sometimes be uncomfortable due to the way it is made
- The sander overheats pretty quickly.
- And it has been reported to spoil easily, usually after the first few months of using it.
7. Makita 9903 Sander with Cloth Dust Bag
The Makita is a 3.21 inch belt sander, model 9903. This impressive model combines both power, force and speed to give the sanded wood the absolute best finish. It uses its auto-tracker to watch the belt speed.
This enables it to know when pressure needs to be added or reduced to optimize the time the user needs to go over the wood to achieve maximum results. It also comes equipped variable speed belt and several other features which we will list below.
The Makita 9903 comes with a variable speed option, this differs from every other belts sander, because it detects the speed and measures the smoothness of surface, knowing when to reduce or increase speed without the user having to control it.
Amazing right. The build makes it almost noiseless when in usage. Also, featuring a front grip that gives the user 99% more control, and a dust bag that traps dust, protecting the belt sander user.
- The build makes it ideal for basically every wood work.
- It is easy to use.
- The Makita 9903 is not very expensive.
- It does not come with a bag for carrying it.
- For a belt sander, it is pricy
8. Hitachi SB8V2 Sander with Trigger Lock and Soft Grip Handles
The Hitachi Variable Belt sander, model SB8V2 is a powerful belt sander.it uses a 9.0 AMP to power its belt, the belt is rough removing all the roughness on the wood in no time.
It is also run by a 2100 watt motor that makes it easy to use it to sand even the toughest of wood. It is the ideal belt sander for many surfaces. Including, steel, wood and even paint. There are any more features where that came from. So let’s check them out.
The Hitachi SB8V2 features a service life two times longer than an average belt sander. A clear strip covering both the front and back handles giving the user a superb grip.
And also a dust collection canister, this draws in the dust reducing airborne particles and protecting the health of the user. It also features a controlled variable speed belt and weighs in at 9.5 pounds.
- With a 30 day testing period and a whooping 5year warranty. This is nothing like you will get anywhere else.
- It comes with a frustration free certificate.
- The Hitachi SB8V2 also has a wear resistant belt that gives this sander a longer life.
- The belt can become slack and remove on it on. This makes it critical to check if the belt is lost before you start sanding as it could a danger hazard.
- It is heavy.
9. TACKLIFE Belt Sander 3 ×18-Inch
The tacklife belt sander has been specifically made by the company after extensive research to give you the best a belt sander can offer.
This model has 3inch 18 inch belt that comes with 5-AMP motor. Specifically made to help the user target and do hard jobs. It is also one of the first belt sanders to come with clamps allowing you to position it the way you want. Here are more features.
The Tacklife belt sander features an excellent dust collection system. With clamps that allow you to fix it in any position you want.
It is easy to use and lets the user save energy, and the fact that it is lightweight makes it even easier. Because it weighs 4.7lbs. The build and design make it such that it is very convenient to work and gets into all the corners and edges, making the finish perfect. It also comes with a 10ft length power cord.
- With a variable speed button, the user is given more control over the rate the sander smoothens the surface of the wood.
- An extra sandpaper that comes with every new purchase the user, does not have to replace it anytime soon saving him money.
- It is easy to use.
- It is pricy compared to other models
10. PORTER-CABLE Belt Sander
The Porter-Cable 362V is a 4-inch by 24-inch variable speed belt sander. They equip it with a jaw dropping 12 AMP motor. And for durability, it comes with an all metal body that gives the vital working machinery a very strong cover.
Protection it from dust and everything else that can spoil it. It is ideal for both professionals and newbies because of the way they make it. It also has other features we will list out.
The porter cable comes with an auto-belt tracker, this means that the user does not have to stop working just to adjust the alignment of the belt giving him more time to work.
This model boasts of one of the biggest dust collecting canisters any belt sander has to offer. It comes equipped with a variable speed dial that gives the user the option of 500-1500 spfm. And weighs in at a surprising lightweight of 3.5 pounds.
- The Porter Cable is lightweight, and the user can work for longer without feeling tired.
- This Belt sander has a one-year warranty.
- Its dust collection bag swivels the whole 360 degrees, so the user can move it to where it is most convenient for him.
- It can be too small if you want to handle a large wood work.
- This model is very powerful, and weak people cannot operate it.
Buying Sanding Belt
If you have ever wanted to own your own sanding belt by purchasing it, here are a few things you need to know to buy the best sanding belt. Belt sanders are tools that makes you boring long and hard work of smoothening tools shorter, easier and faster. But a belt sander being such a powerful tool will either make or break your work. So here are a few tips to help you purchase the best belt sander.
Multi-purpose: initially belt sanders could only perform one task, and if you had a wood belt sander and wanted to sand metal you had to switch to another one. Now those single-purpose belt sanders still exist but there are of no use because you can get yourself a single powerful sander that can sand basically any surface you want to, decreasing downtime and increasing output.
Variable speed: Some belt sanders only come with a single speed, that is to say, the user cannot adjust to speed to his preference. You want to get a belt sander with a variable speed that allows you control of the speed whenever you want.
Weight: The weight of a sander can play a huge role in how long the user can work without getting tired. So if your belt sander is heavy the user will get tired easily as compared to if he is using a lightweight belt sander. So keep in mind the weight when buying a belt sander.
Noise control: A belt sander is a loud machine and it’s dangerous to the hearing. The new technology belt sander is made with materials that control the noise emitted. You want to either get one of those or buy an ear protector.
Frequently Asked Questions.
What kind of switch is on a belt sander?
Answer: A belt sander has a basic on and off switch, though some of them come with a lever that holds it in place so you do not mistakenly switch it on or off as that could be dangerous.
How to sand a floor with a belt sander?
Answer: if you want to use a belt sander for the floor then you would need a handheld belt sander. Keep the place clean before you start sanding as little debris can poke holes in the sanding paper and you will need to change it sooner than needed. After that plug the belt sander into an outlet and lower it slowly onto the ground. Remember to keep it moving so as not to sand a dent on the floor. Use the belts sander to go over the floor in a continuous motion until you get the desired results.
Can I use a belt sander on hardwood floors?
Answer: yes a belt sander can be used on hardwood floors, but not all of them. So check the specifications of the model you have to see if it can be used on hardwood floors. And if specified then you can use it.
Can I use belt sanders on walls?
Answer: yes a belt sander can be used on walls. It depends on what the wall is made of and if the model of the belt sander you have can sand such materials. So, check your specifications and if yes, you are good to go.
Getting a new belt sander, whether for personal use or for commercial purpose will not be a hassle anymore. Telling what a belt sander is, what it does and how to use it. And an unbiased review, anyone is well equipped to buy and use the best belt sanders for themselves.